2. Learner mobility - Students in higher education

Study periods: Students can spend from 3 to 12 months studying at a university or college in another country.
Traineeships: Alternatively, you can do a traineeship in a workplace abroad lasting from 2 to 12 months.

The study or traineeship can be in any field or academicdiscipline at Bachelor, Master or Doctoral level. It is also possibleto combine a traineeship with a study period abroad.

Recent higher education graduates can also do a traineeshipabroad within one year of graduation. But plan ahead! You haveto be selected by your university or college during your last yearof study.

Erasmus+ also supports some European students to study in therest of the world and students from elsewhere in the world tostudy in Europe.

Who is it for?

  • Students or doctoral candidates wanting to study or train abroad, or receive a joint degree issued by more than one university

  • Trainees or apprentices looking to expand their skills abroad

  • Young people wishing to benefit from a youth exchange or to volunteer abroad

Master's student loans

Erasmus+ supports new, low cost loans to help Master's students to study in other European countries, with favourable pay back conditions.

Students are able to apply for a loan for a full Master's degree abroad and can borrow up to €12,000 for a one year course or up to €18,000 for a two year course.

The loans are provided by selected financial intermediaries in Programme Countries.

Joint Master's degrees

Erasmus+ offers Master's students worldwide the chance of a scholarship to follow joint, high-level international study programmes run by university partnerships. The Joint Master's programmes lead to a degree issued jointly by some or all of the participating institutions.


Joint Doctoral programmes are supported by the Marie Skfodowska-Curie Actions under the Horizon 2020 Research programme. OngoingJoint Doctoral programmes selected under Erasmus Mundus before 2014 continue to be supported under Erasmus+.

How to find out more?


How to apply?

You can get more information from the international office of yourhigher education institution. For joint degrees, students can find thelist of Joint Master's degrees on the Education, Audiovisual and CultureExecutive Agency (EACEA) website:


© European Union, 2014

Privacy Policy